Antimony


Antimony is probably only slightly toxic in human beings, though in rats it affects the heart and reduces the life span. We obtain antimony mainly from food and water, with some from the air. Other sources are pottery glazes and cooking utensils. The approximately 100 mcg. consumed daily is poorly absorbed, and most is eliminated in the feces and urine. Our body stores some in the liver, spleen, kidneys, blood, and hair. Antimony is really only of mild concern in humans.


Industrial antimony toxicity from gaseous stibine (SbH3) or ingestion of antimony materials is uncommon. High levels can cause acute symptoms of the gastrointestinal tract and cause damage to the kidneys, liver, and heart.

Elson M. Haas MD Written by Elson M. Haas MD

We Humbly Recommend

Get the Healthiest Newsletter!

Get a dose of Healthy delivered straight to your inbox. Each FREE issue features amazing content that will elevate your Body, Mind, and Spirit.

Your data is never shared with 3rd parties

Introducing

Healthy Shopping

Health and Wellbeing products lovingly curated for you.