Are YOU a sugar addict?
In the United States, with approximately 18% of the average American diet coming from added sugar, this is becoming the rule rather than the exception. Many people eat their weight in sugar every year. And it may be why you are tired, achy, “brain fogged”, anxious, and unable to lose weight.
As most people have found, simply trying to cut out sugar usually does not work very well.
In addition, who wants to cut out things that give you pleasure? Put simply, if you live a long life because you’ve cut out everything you enjoy, why bother?
How to eliminate the causes of your sugar cravings!
There are four main types of sugar addiction. In each type, there are different forces driving your addiction. By treating the underlying causes that are active in your type of addiction, you will find that not only do your sugar cravings go away, but you also feel dramatically better overall.
Here’s more good news. Once you have broken your sugar addiction, your body will usually be able to handle sugar in moderation. This means saving sugar for dessert or snacks where it belongs, and going for quality, not quantity. Dark chocolate is especially okay. Natural sweeteners like stevia are also a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth, but you need to use the right brands.
The 4 Sugar Addiction Types
To beat sugar addiction, first you’ll need to figure out which type of sugar addict you are. Here are the four key types:
Type 1: Hooked on “Energy Loan Shark” drinks. Chronically exhausted and hooked on caffeine and sugar
When daily fatigue causes sugar (and caffeine) cravings, sometimes all you need is to improve nutrition, sleep, and exercise. When your energy increases, you won’t need sugar and caffeine for an energy boost. Want a healthy daily energy drink? Add 1 scoop of the supplement Ribose (e.g.-Corvalen by Bioenergy) to ½ -1 scoop of a good vitamin powder (e.g.- the Energy Revitalization System by Enzymatic Therapy). This is a healthy way to turbo charge your energy!
Type 2: Feed Me Now or I’ll Kill You. When life’s stress has exhausted your adrenal glands
For those of you who get irritable when you’re hungry and crash under stress, it is important to treat your adrenal exhaustion. Herbal Licorice, adrenal glandular, Vitamin C and Pantothenic acid will help heal your adrenal stress handler glands (can be found in combination in Adrenal Stress End)
Type 3: The Happy Twinkie Hunter. Sugar cravings caused by yeast/candida overgrowth
For those of you with chronic nasal congestion, sinusitis, spastic colon, or irritable bowel syndrome, treating yeast overgrowth is critical. This can be done with probiotics, natural antifungals, and even the medication Diflucan given for 6 weeks (you’ll need a Holistic doctor to prescribe this-see http://www.HolisticBoard.org)
Type 4: Depressed and Craving Carbs. Sugar cravings caused by your period, menopause, or andropause
Standard blood testing for hormonal deficiencies will not reveal the problems until they are very severe, sometimes leaving people deficient for decades. Bioidentical hormones can be very helpful. Raise low estrogen naturally by eating a handful of edamame each day. This is the same tasty snack served in Japanese restaurants.
Quick Quiz – See What Kind of Sugar Addict You Are!
Type 1 Sugar Addict profile.
- Feel tired much of the time? (20 points)
- Need coffee to get jumpstarted in the morning? (10 points)
- What is the average number of ounces of caffeinated coffee or soda or “energy drinks” you drink daily? (Score 2 points for each ounce.)
- Do you repeatedly crave sweets or caffeine to give you the energy to get through the day? (25 points)
- Are you gaining weight? Or having trouble losing weight? (Score 1 point for every two pounds gained over the past three years.)
- 0-30: No problem. Skip to the next quiz.
- 31-50: You are treating your fatigue with sugar and caffeine-which are energy “Loan Sharks”.
- Over 50: You are a sugar and caffeine junkie. Learn how to restore your energy production naturally, so you can cut back on sugar and still feel great.
Use the SHINE Protocol (Sleep, Hormonal support, Infection control, Nutritional support, Exercise) to optimize your energy-naturally!
Type 2 Sugar Addicts
- Are you very irritable when hungry? Do you get a “Feed me now or I’ll kill you” feeling? (35 points)
- Is life a crisis to you? (15 points)
- Do you enjoy the rush of energy you feel when you are in a crisis? (15 points)
- 0-24: You are probably a type B “low-key” person with healthy adrenals.
25-34: You are developing early stages of adrenal fatigue.
35-65: This suggests moderate to severe adrenal exhaustion, and your body is crying out for help.
Type 3 Sugar Addicts
- Do you have chronic nasal congestion or sinusitis? (50 points)
- Spastic colon or irritable bowel syndrome? (gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation)? (50 points)
- Have you taken antibiotics for any type of infection for more than two consecutive months, or shorter courses more than three times in a twelve-month period? (20 points)
- Have you been treated for acne with antibiotic pills for one month or longer? (50 points)
- Have you had a fungal infection, such as jock itch, athlete’s foot, or a nail or skin infection that was difficult to treat? (20 points)
- Do you have postnasal drip or clear your throat a lot? (20 points)
- Do you have food allergies? (20 points)
- If your total is 50 or higher, you likely have a yeast/candida overgrowth.
Type 4 – Sugar Addiction
PMS? Treating sugar addiction can help decrease your PMS.
MENOPAUSE OR PERIMENOPAUSE
- Have you had a hysterectomy or ovarian surgery ( 30 points):
- Do you have decreased vaginal lubrication? (25 points)
- Do you have decreased sex drive (libido)? (15 points)
- In the week before and around your period (or in general if you no longer have periods), do you experience noticeably worse
- Insomnia? (15 points)
- Headaches? (15 points)
- Fatigue? (15 points)
- Hot flashes or sweats? (20 points)
If you scored 30 or higher you likely have symptoms from estrogen or progesterone deficiency;
Men (over 45 years of age)
- Do you have decreased libido? (20 points)
- Do you have erectile dysfunction or decrease in erections? (20 points)
- Do you have hypertension? (20 points)
- Do you have high cholesterol? (20 points)
- Do you have diabetes? (20 points)
- Are you overweight with a “spare tire” around your waist? (20 points)
If you scored 50 or higher, these symptoms may be the result of an inadequate testosterone level-even if your blood test is normal.