1. Backache. Research demonstrates that for most cases of lower back pain, chiropractic or osteopathy works far better than anything medicine has to offer (WDDTY vol 4 no 8).
2. Ear ache. In most cases, time, mullein oil, a woolly hat or a hot water bottle works far better than antibiotics in curing ear ache, according to numerous studies (Alternatives,WDDTY vol 5 no 12).
3. Fever. Fever is your body’s extremely clever method of killing foreign bugs of all varieties and shouldn’t be suppressed. Rather than worrying about the exact degrees, its more important to determine whether the problem is serious say, meningitis. Fevers for ordinary viral and bacterial infections won’t exceed 105 degrees, which isn’t dangerous.
4. Infection. For common or garden infections, first try working with a herbalist, who will prescribe echinacea or berberis, rather than antibiotics.
5. Just in case checkups, particularly if you are over 50. If you have nothing blatantly wrong with you, going to a doctor won’t necessarily protect you but is likely to unleash the entire arsenal of his testing apparatus.
6. Menopause. Unless you are among the very small percentage of women who don’t respond to other measures, holistic measures (diet, homeopathy, herbs) will help you through the change in a safer way than any doctor.
7. Chronic but not life threatening diseases. Eczema, psoriasis, non life threatening asthma all respond better to alternative measures than drugs, which only suppress symptoms (The Guide to Asthma and Eczema; PROOF! vol 1 no 3).
8. Slimming. All a doctor usually has to offer is drugs, and numerous slimming drugs have been found to be life threatening. Allergies are one of the major causes of overweight, as are calorie poor slimming diets (WDDTY vol 6 no 5 and Allergy Handbook).
9. Colds and flu. Unless you are elderly and your immune system is compromised in some way, there is nothing your doctor can give you or your child that will improve a cold or flu. Bed rest, plenty of fluids, lemon and honey drinks and homoeopathy help; antibiotics cannot.
10. Acne. Again, all your doctor has is drugs with horrendous side effects to offer you. Try diet and allergy treatment first (The Allergy Handbook).