The following recipe addresses the special diet considerations for: dairy-free, gluten-free, low glycemic index, vegan, vegetarian, anti-cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, inflammatory bowel diseases.
Serves 4 as a sidedish
The spicy oil enhances the natural sweetness that has been teased out of the carrots and the beets by gentle roasting in the oven. Remember to keep an eye on the vegetables while roasting and add extra water if it evaporates.
The carrots and beets go very well with gently braised lamb or goat or seared fresh tunafish.
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs ground turmeric
- 3 green cardamom pods, roasted and the stones ground finely
- 4 large organic carrots, scrubbed and cut into quarter lengthwise
- 2 organic beets (approx. 3/4 lb/ 300 gr) cut into large chunks
- sea salt
- freshly pressed juice of 1 lemon
1) Mix extra virgin olive oil, turmeric, and ground cardamom well in a large bowl. Add carrot and beet chunks and toss until coated in the spicy oil.
2) Place the dressed carrot and beet chunks in a shallow baking dish, add 1/2 inch (1 cm) water, and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for approximately 45 minutes in a 475° F (250° C) hot oven until tender and the carrots are slightly caramelized.
3) Drizzle with lemon juice and serve while still hot.
Note: Measurements are provided in both U.S. and European/metric units.