This technique is a traditional yoga practice called Uddhiyana bandha. Stand with feet at about shoulder width, bend the knees slightly, bend forward, exhale completely, brace the hands above the knees. Either lift and hold the abdomen upward against the spine or rhythmically contract and release the abdomen while maintaining the exhalation. Complete by returning to erect position and inhaling before needing to gasp.
- Health maintenance: 3 to 4 repetitions, 2 to 3 sessions per day.
- Health enhancement: 3 to 4 repetitions, 4 to 6 sessions per day.
- Disease intervention: Start slowly and build up to 6 to 10 repetitions, 8 to 10 sessions per day.
- Getting started: 2 to 3 repetitions, once or twice per day. Remember to build up slowly, if you are weak, this can be too much exertion if practiced too vigorously.
Other columns provide specific instructions for the following breathing practices:
- Breathing Practices
- Full Chest and Abdominal Breathing
- Every Seventh Breath Full and Relaxed
- Extending the Inhalation, Extending the Exhalation
- Exhale to Compress the Organs
- Rapid Abdominal Breathing